Thursday, June 14

Mrs. Snagsby Sees It All

Sunday 30th May 2010
11:20am
Up a mountain with a great view, all alone, McLeod Ganj
India

The Dalai Lama will teach here at the Tibetan Children's Village at 9am on Tuesday morning. I really really really want to be there. Someone at the monastery told me he'd do a teaching in the next week and I found out the details on his official website the details. As a precaution I'll go to his branch security office in advance just in case I need to register. 

Just before beginning to write this I cracked, at the second time of asking, the latest really really hard Sudoku from the Tribune. I sketched out the grid again in this notebook and sat on this rock for 45-60 minutes doing it. 

Much of the past two days I've spent in the library hiding in part from the vicious rain storms. On Friday night and Saturday morning there were long heavy downpours. 

Got my head shaved. Number 2 all over. I asked for a number 3 but the guy didn't have the clip. He gave me a head and should massage for an extra 10Rs (40Rs in total). I feel much refreshed at having the cut. 

E-mailed a girl I met in Kathmandu by chance, who I had previously met in Darjeeling, turns out she is here in McLeod too. But we just haven't bumped in to each other yet.

From my regular tea stall from between McLeod Ganj and the library I yesterday bought two big parathas, which are like giant nan breads and quite doughy and soft. Lovely texture. I had some chilli which came with them but chucked it away, too hot! Meanwhile the mango pickle I bought out of curiosity was putrid. There is no good mango chutney here.

I saw Syv, the French girl doing Japanese dance on Friday morning at the tea stall near the library. She's shaved her head again, even shorter than before.

Doing lots of library reading but not enough from my own books. Might get something new and a few small gifts next week. Used the internet today.

Am feeling quite excited about the week ahead. My last abroad before returning to the motherland after 3 years. Would like to visit the British Museum on the day I have in London, and go for a stroll in one of the parks.

I never, last Friday, went back to Bhagsu about the 'Jewels', it's all gone and forgotten. Enjoying reading about the build-up to the world cup online and in the papers here.

Today is bright and sunny and reflects how I feel.

Haven't bumped into Tensing yet, not for a while.

Feeling a little guilty about all the biscuits I've been eating lately, might opt for some plain crackers instead.

Some new people have moved to the monastery, Americans. I can here them talking at night through the walls. Perhaps staying in a hotel might be better for them to follow their habits as they seem to be smoking and drinking a lot and it's not cigarettes they are smoking either.  They do however have great musical bowls which are popular here. You hit the of them and a ringing sound reverberates around and around for ages.

Did contemplate a few days in Delhi but happy enough here and when I think of Delhi I just think of a big smelly chaotic city 40+.