Thursday, April 5

An Appeal Case

Thursday 27th May 2010
22:58
My bed at the Dip Tse Chok Ling Monastery
India

I'm struggling to keep up this diary. But feel I must go on.
I saw the Dalai Lama today, he returned from his trip abroad. Today was also Buddha's birthday.
I got a good view of him driving past and hopefully a good view too!

Many Tibetans, Indians and tourists lined the streets waiting. His entourage passed first in their cars. Then he himself arrived and past by in an instant. He had one head, two eyes, a mouth, a nose, he looked completely human! Seriously it was great to see him.

I bumped into some old travel friends from Lumbini at the main temple and had brunch with them.
A nice Tsampa porridge.

I eventually conquered a tough Sudoku in the Tribune and stupidly lost concentration doing the 'easy' Sudoku in the TOI later. I've taken to buying two newspapers now. .

I had a cup of Darjeeling in between wondering McLeod's backstreets and waiting for his holiness today, but in the busy cafe I became very self conscious for some reason. I think I felt unsettled because a monk and his two friends plonked themselves at my table not acknowledging me at all and it really put me off my Sudoku with which I was struggling. I sweated profusely and then left.

Used the internet for 2 hours and saw a great new Nike football advert.

Rain and thunder outside.

Yesterday I was in the library all day.
To coincide with his holiness arriving and Buddha's birthday many Indian beggars and pilgrims appeared in McLeod these past few days.

Went to Bhagsu and met a guy 'Levi'?, we discussed in detail the deal of me taking jewels one way or another, back to the UK. I was still dubious despite his almost convincing openness. However I just read about this kind of scam on the Agra page of the lonely planet. So it's a no.

Really hammering down outside.

The whole process seemed so elaborate, take me to a hotel, meet a man from Mumbai, post the jewels, meet a man on the UK. The scam being I make 'a payment of good faith' beforehand, which hasn't been mentioned yet but my inclinations from our discussions so far, and from what I have read on the internet, make me think this will happen.

I'm supposed to go back tomorrow morning with a yes or no answer. Word has it the Dalai Lama will be doing some teachings next week at the TCV. May try and go if I am still here.

Added honey to my curd tonight. Yum.

Starting to hanker for a beer.

I really want to adopt some Buddhist practices to life back in the UK, but think there is going to be an initial letting off of steam.
Want to get more reading done.

Definitely a storm outside.

Last night I painted a big picture in my mind about a good life back home. It included living in London, playing Sunday football in goal, working part-time in a cinema and as a policeman at the Sherlock Holmes museum while fitting in some study. Perhaps share it all with someone nice.

What will the future bring...?

Off to sleep now before I think of something else that'll keep me up late.