Friday, June 29

The Iron Master

Wednesday 2nd June 
12:55pm 
Tenyang Coffee House, Temple Road, McLeod Ganj

So yesterday after leaving this same cafe I went down to the hill toward the library and got to parathas for dinner from the tea shop/hut/cafe on the way. I got half way to the library then turned around and spent a couple of hours on the internet. 

I met a guy called James in the tea hut who was getting his bike fixed next door. We talked for 20 minutes about Buddhism and our experiences in India. 

Managed to do Monday's Sudoku in the Tribune yesterday after drawing out the grid in my notebook. Read several stories from Monday's papers I'd previously missed. 

Spoke to Liz, the woman in the dormitory room next to me at the monastery about the Dalai Lama's teachings. 

This morning, day two of the teachings, couldn't have gone any better. Despite rumours of ill health the Dalai Lama was there and stuck around until midday. The translation into English was being broadcast from the start. 

Some really good stuff was discussed and some great analogies used to help listeners comprehend things. I took my camera and got some great photographs - I hope. 

Saw a German woman I'd met the day before and also bumped into some girls I had previously met in Lumbini and at the Dalai Lama's residence on Buddha's birthday. It was nice sharing the teachings with them. 

Today I think I'll make it to the library, maybe photocopy the crosswords and/or copy the sudoku. Then I'll have to face the other quandary of what to have for dinner. I'm thinking momos to accompany my curd, or bananas. A little chocolate might not go a miss either. 

Feel really great after having attended the Dalai Lama's teachings and picked up some positive things. During the teaching I found a quiet spot and scribbled some notes while eating slices of brown bread.