Wednesday, February 29

The Smallweed Family

Thursday 20th May 2010
22:35
My bed, Dip Tse Chok Ling Monastery, McLeod Ganj
India

Today I was offered $10,000 to transport 'Jewels' from India to London.
I met the same Indian guy I'd drank tea with the day before, I talked him out of dinner, so he took me to the village of Bagsu for another tea where, lo-and-behold, we met the two guys who I had previously failed to turn up to meet for dinner the week before. 

I apologised and there was a passive acceptance. 

I guess they didn't really care, as they were just trying to soften me up to use me as their mule. 

In a business meeting-like atmosphere the whole thing was explained; how the whole deal was all a loop hole for getting around some tax laws. 

What a complication. 

I told them I'd think about it, though of course I was just placating them. My obvious inclination is to stay clear of it, may it is legit though. It's a little pathetic though.

I went to the library in the morning. 
Bought a new toothbrush which I am just about to use, used the internet, bought my Dad a book. 
I booked a hostel in London. 
And sent a book proposal to an agent. 

The whole jewel thing feels weird, taking a false interest in travellers, serving them tea and so on, is such a waste of time. Cut to the chase, crappy talks about each others families and what not, I don't care and they don't care. 

6 momos, banana and curd, Diet Pepsi. One place for the momos, another for the fruit and another shop for the curd and biscuits. I quite like it really. 

Sometimes, as an Englishman here, well anywhere that isn't England, I feel like a banana tree being attacked by monkeys, there's no escape and I'm surrounded by people trying to get my English. 

I can't run or go anywhere. Sometimes it feels like a burden to be white. I am going to let it go though, to drop these feelings of annoyance. But they do naturally rise up from time to time, before dying away. 

I'm sure there are better simile I could use though. 
I like the routine of getting a good nights sleep here, waking around the same time each day, naturally. It's good. 

70rps to watch the champions league final.