Saturday, February 11

Tom-all-alone's

Saturday 15th of May 2010
11pm
Bed, Dip Tse Chok Ling Monastery, McLeod Ganj
India

So what of today?

Today was refreshingly peaceful and straight forward.
I walked down to the library picked out The Way It Is, which is a book by a western monk which I am ploughing through and getting a lot or practical and useful information from.

Also I've started reading The Wisdom of Forgiveness, a wonderfully light hearted book concerning the Dalai Lama that contains several interviews with the author.

Finally on the table I had a copy of Herman Hesse's Siddhartha, that I haven't started yet but will do soon.

There are still some gaps in my historical understanding of Buddhism and some recent history that I want to grasp. But finding the right books isn't so easy.

I stayed at the library from around 10am to 4.30pm before starting the blood pumping walk back up the hill. I found the local cinema, 150Rs for a ticket, which is basically a basement with a few rooms with large TVs in with comfy sofas and bean bags. 

I corrected Tensings poems. I found a nice cafe with a rooftop terrace at around 5pm that was pretty quiet.
The view overlooked one side of the town, it was nice and I got a small pot of Darjeeling Tea. 

Apart from that I did nothing out of the ordinary apart from successfully complete today's Sudoku in the Times of India. I had a good stab at the crossword too. 

I bought some good momos, a few biscuits and a Pepsi and came back to the monastery, before eating the momos I did some reading out in the communal bench area offering a view of the valley. I was joined for a few minutes by a young monk, he must have been 6 or 7; I couldn't hold his attention for long. 

I found out I can use the small library here at the monastery I am staying in, all I have to do is ask for the key. 

I'm living calmly and happily within my own means and it's nice to give time to myself here, to contemplate and be aware. 

After a long dinner in my room I read some of my Buddhist ethics book and a chapter of Vanity Fair.

Tomorrow I'll meet Tensing. 

I wonder what I'll do next week...reading for sure. 
The library chairs are very comfortable. 

Actually my bed here at the monastery is very cosy. 
I've 3 thick woollen rugs to cover me. 

I haven't arranged to try and do Tai Chi yet. 
I may use the internet tomorrow. 
Maybe I'll purchase one or two books, we'll see. 

I want to practise patience, and develop more patience. 

Hmm cooking classes...I'll give them some thought, but then again why complicate my simple and peaceful routine?