Wednesday 19th May 2010
10pm
My bed at the Dip Tse Chok Ling Monastery
Read a great article in the Times of India tonight. Everyday the column named 'The Speaking Tree' is printed and has a different writer who will give some kind of spiritual or enlightening advice. Tonight's column focused on Buddhism and the frame of mind we should adopt to life.
Made a mistake on the Sudoku. Didn't do well on the crossword.
Ate curd with banana for dinner. 4 momos (veg) one piece of Tibetan bread. Drank some Diet Pepsi and ate a packet of biscuits. Felt good to eat some fruit.
Read a lot of Siddhartha by Hesse. As I read the story I could identify many of the main characteristics of the story and how they related to some specific Buddhist principles. It felt strangely reassuring. Finished a small book/pamphlet Tibetan poetry in, there were also a couple of thought provoking essays by Tibetans and there views on the future of their existence in the shadow of China.
Walked to St. John's Church with Tensing and tutored him there. He was in good spirits. I remained behind after he left and read.
Had to take a dump in the woods.
I bought a rosary today, a Buddhist one of course. I'd like to give meditation another go once I've learned more. Meditation comes in many forms though.
I cut out the Speaking Tree article. I e-mailed the writer and thanked him.
I'm apprehensive about the lifestyle I'll have when I return to England. There are many options to consider and I'm sure many people to see. However simply I lay things out in my mind a return to a more worldly environment will I think complicate my life. I'll know once I return.
I met the Indian guy I mentioned yesterday, we had a coffee, he wanted to have dinner tomorrow but I like eating alone in the evenings here in my room, slowly and in silence, occasionally glancing at the newspaper. I take my time, appreciate the food before me and enjoy it. It's nice to meet people, but my space is important, I don't want to get to pally with people here because I want to develop my understanding of Buddhism to the limit. Of course meeting people is a good way to practice. I just need to find the right balance.
Got my left shoe fixed.
Gary Neville didn't make the world cup squad. Not surprised he really, he's been injured so much in the past 3 or 4 years. He was great in his day though.
I feel more part of the gang now I have my rosary.
Tomorrow, library in the AM, meet the Indian guy in the PM. Use the internet. Do all the other routine things I do in there calming simplicity.
If I can think of anything else worthwhile to add here I will.
Enjoyed a pot of Darjeeling Tea this afternoon on a rooftop.
Lovely view of the mountains.
Must buy new toothbrush.