Monday, July 9

Esther's Narrative

Saturday 5th June 2010
12:00pm 
Up on my usual flagged rocky mountain side, McLeod Ganj 

Last night there was a large storm that knocked out the electric just as I was doing the SudoKu. The pwoer cut lasted all night and wasn't back on when I left this morning. 

Ate momos, curd, banana, honey. Had some Tsampa porridge during the day. 

Spent yesterday morning in the library, then used the internet. Got sidetracked by an e-mail from a friend. She seems very stressed by not being able to find work in the UK. My reply was just a reply, a sit tight reply. There is not much I can do from here. I guess I feel a bit helpless and there is nothing to say that hasn't already been said and repeating myself would only be patronizing to her. 

Finished reading yesterdays papers up here on the mountain side. Ate a few sweats and some momos left over from last night. 

Need to use the internet again in any case later, e-mail dad and check my bank balance. 
While eating porridge yesterday a Tibetan guy sat with me. He came from Tibet to India 6 years ago. At first it was hard to understand his accent but after a few minutes it became easier. We talked about Tibet, the Dalai Lama, English classics and of course the world cup. I can't wait for the world cup and I am really enjoying reading about it in the TOI. 

The Tsampa porridge was lovely and the other day I read Tin Tin in Tibet in which they specifically mention it and eat it. It's a lot like Ready brek. 

My mind is more and more preoccupied with Tuesday now. 

The rest of Thursday I stayed in the library. 
The Miss Tibet 2010 competition was in the newspaper today. 
There's a book fair going on in town at the minute so would be nice to check that out. 
I should get a few small gifts before I leave. 

Saw the French girl I met in the tea stall, Sye, yesterday and browsed through 29-year-old copies of News Week with her. 

My bus leaves at 6:30pm tomorrow. 

I can't think of much else to add. In Delhi on Monday some major attractions will be shut. But I may try to get to one or two sites depending on this or that. 

Today is bright and sunny and hot. But there is a breeze. My arms and legs are so brown, at least in relation to my torso. 

I fancy a nice cup of tea.

I bought a new pen yesterday.